RE: TCP IP Offloading Interface

To: Jordi Ros <jros@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: TCP IP Offloading Interface
From: Ralph Doncaster <ralph@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:01:11 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Jordi Ros wrote:

> Note that Microsoft is considering TOE under its Scalable Networking Program.
> To keep linux competitive, I would encourage a healthy discussion on this
> matter. Again, TOE is not the goal but the means to deliver important
> technologies for the next generation of servers. This will be critical as the
> backbone of the Internet goes to all optical networks while the servers stay
> at the electronic domain. As shown by McKeown, "Circuit Switching in the
> Core", the line capacity of the optical fibers is doubling every 7 months
> while the processing CPU capacity (Moore's law) can only double every 18
> months.

Moore's law is borne out in practice; most optical tansmission
developments are theory.  3 years ago the fastest circuit you could
readily buy from a carrier (QWest, 360, Williams, etc) was OC192.  Today I
still can't contact a rep from any of those companies and order an OC768.

Even so, as things currently stand in Linux, an application can send a
stream of data from a file on disk to the network without any of the data
touching the CPU.  So we really don't need any new and convoluted way of
accelerating network performance.

> PROPRIETARY-CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION INCLUDED

And you expect to be taken seriously when you include a stupid disclaimer
like this at the end of your email?

-Ralph