RE: TCP IP Offloading Interface

To: Jordi Ros <jros@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: TCP IP Offloading Interface
From: Ralph Doncaster <ralph@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:01:11 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Jordi Ros wrote:

> Note that Microsoft is considering TOE under its Scalable Networking Program.
> To keep linux competitive, I would encourage a healthy discussion on this
> matter. Again, TOE is not the goal but the means to deliver important
> technologies for the next generation of servers. This will be critical as the
> backbone of the Internet goes to all optical networks while the servers stay
> at the electronic domain. As shown by McKeown, "Circuit Switching in the
> Core", the line capacity of the optical fibers is doubling every 7 months
> while the processing CPU capacity (Moore's law) can only double every 18
> months.

Moore's law is borne out in practice; most optical tansmission
developments are theory.  3 years ago the fastest circuit you could
readily buy from a carrier (QWest, 360, Williams, etc) was OC192.  Today I
still can't contact a rep from any of those companies and order an OC768.

Even so, as things currently stand in Linux, an application can send a
stream of data from a file on disk to the network without any of the data
touching the CPU.  So we really don't need any new and convoluted way of
accelerating network performance.

And you expect to be taken seriously when you include a stupid disclaimer
like this at the end of your email?