Re: network interface cards native vlans support in linux kernel?

To: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: network interface cards native vlans support in linux kernel?
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:25:57 -0700
Cc: Andrius Kasparavicius <andrius@xxxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jeff Garzik wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:11:57AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

eepro100 does not seem to be updated in the kernel anymore, though if you go figure
out how to install Becker's drivers, he may have it working with vlans
by now.

I won't say for sure, but I'm fairly certain he does.  Most of his
drivers got a "slightly larger than normal MTU" pass-over a while ago.

I objected to the eepro100 patch, because all it did was change one
magic number to another, in the configuration data.  I had absolutely no
basis for evaluation other than "I hope it works", so it was rejected.

If someone wants to look at his eepro100 and merge in new changes (vlan
or otherwise), that'd be great.  His tulip MTU (aka vlan) changes also
want pulling into mainline kernel, since his changes are _much_ better
than the tulip vlan patch floating around.

It is beyond me to do this merge at this time, but if someone else can
do it that would be great.  I can also do some testing of the tulip
merge, at least..as I have loads of 4-port nics lying around.

Ben

        Jeff

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>