Re: networking bugs and bugme.osdl.org

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: networking bugs and bugme.osdl.org
From: Andries Brouwer <aebr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:49:34 +0200
Cc: alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mbligh@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
>    From: Andries Brouwer <aebr@xxxxxxxxxx>
>    Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:45:58 +0200
>
>    Will you babysit them, check whether later snapshots correct this
>    flaw, resubmit your report every month if not?  Maybe you will. I
>    certainly don't - send the report and that's it.
>
> As a result, your bug reports will tend to not be tended to,

Maybe that is the wrong answer. It seems they have a bug tracking system.

> People who expect that, for free, one bug submission will get
> their bug fixed

See, you think you are doing the submitter a favour.
I prefer the point of view that the submitter does us a favour.

Something is wrong, and people work around it.
But they tell us about it. If we want we can try to fix.
Or we can store the information for later examination.
Very often it is needed later - fortunately Google helps.
A more focused data base might help even better.