Re: networking bugs and

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: networking bugs and
From: Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Jun 2003 20:19:32 +0100
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sad, 2003-06-28 at 01:21, David S. Miller wrote:
>    From: Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>    Date: 28 Jun 2003 00:08:56 +0100
>    Tried doing an SQL query or text analysis for similarities on random
>    messages lurking in private mailboxes
> I respond to private reports with "please send this to the lists,
> what if I were on vacation for the next month?"  I never actually
> process or analyze such reports.

Which means you miss stuff. Here is an example my tools found yesterday

18 months ago someone with a specific printer reported doing network printing
to it crashed the kernel. Lost in the noise, filed in bugzilla, categorised
mentally at the time as "weird".

Not long ago a second identical report popped up. Different setup, same
network printing, similar "it reboots" report.

So now I've gone chasing tcpdumps from these.

Its a *different* thing to the kind of patch management you are doing, but its
only possible because of tools like bugzilla