Re: Route cache performance under stress

To: hadi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Route cache performance under stress
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 06:22:17 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: xerox@xxxxxxxxxx, sim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
   From: Jamal Hadi <hadi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:22:11 -0400 (EDT)

   I dont think youll see much benefit with 1 or 2 entries. I was thinking
   more along the lines of people with over 100K entries total;

You simply don't want the chains to get that long.  In my experience,
even with prefetching tricks, past 2 or 3 entry deep hash chains you
run into serious problems.

TCP has the same issue BTW, in fact DoS-like behavior is the common
thing there.  Every time you create a new TCP connection on a server
it's exactly like a routing cache miss.

   Let me run with this and get back to you.

Ok.