Re: Make ipconfig.c work as a loadable module.

To: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Make ipconfig.c work as a loadable module.
From: Russell King <rmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:05:32 +0000
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 09:48:16AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> I can change the contents of my ramdisk as easily as I can change
> the kernel command line.  For the complex setups just placing
> a configuration file in the ramdisk is what seems to work the best
> in practice.

You'll forgive me if I don't think that "change the contents of ramdisk"
is as easy as changing the kernel command line.

Last time I checked, to change the contents of a ramdisk image, you needed
to ungzip it, mount it, make some changes, unmount it, re-gzip it, and
re-install the thing.  Or, in the case of initramfs, you need to rebuild
the kernel image.  Compare this to changing the kernel command line from
"root=/dev/hda1" to "root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp" in the boot loader by hitting
a few keys on the keyboard before the kernel loads, and I think you'll
start to get my point here.

--
Russell King (rmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)                The developer of ARM Linux