Re: SIOCADDMULTI for unicast broken

To: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SIOCADDMULTI for unicast broken
From: Donald Becker <becker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 20:39:50 -0500 (EST)
Cc: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> jamal wrote:
> > Some programs require ability to accept packets destined to certain
> > MAC addresses (in addition to their own).
> > Example Jerome Ettienes vrrpd (http://w3.arobas.net/~jetienne/vrrpd/)
> >
> > The trick is to add unicast addresses via SIOCADDMULTI and accept those
> > packets when they make their way up the stack.
> > I think this used to work, no? Donald, any history/comments behind
> > this?
>
> Over and above Donald's comments, from an interface perspective I think
> this is a bit of a hack, don't you?  :)  Calling an "add-multi" ioctl
> should do precisely that... and only that :)

Yes, it is totally a hack, not an interface.

It was
  "If you need this capability for a RESEARCH PROJECT, you can buy this
  specific board and thus not need to modify the kernel or device
  driver. "

You can also find a few people that want to receive specific corrupted
packets, change the meaning of LEDs on a NIC, and do many other strange
things.  But we don't need a defined kernel interface for each one.

Improvement is what you can eliminate or simplify, not adding complexity.

--
Donald Becker                           becker@xxxxxxxxx
Scyld Computing Corporation             http://www.scyld.com