Re: SIOCADDMULTI for unicast broken

To: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SIOCADDMULTI for unicast broken
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 20:18:00 -0500
Cc: Donald Becker <becker@xxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
jamal wrote:
Some programs require ability to accept packets destined to certain
MAC addresses (in addition to their own).
Example Jerome Ettienes vrrpd (http://w3.arobas.net/~jetienne/vrrpd/)

The trick is to add unicast addresses via SIOCADDMULTI and accept those
packets when they make their way up the stack.
I think this used to work, no? Donald, any history/comments behind
this?

Over and above Donald's comments, from an interface perspective I think this is a bit of a hack, don't you? :) Calling an "add-multi" ioctl should do precisely that... and only that :)