Re: SCTP path mtu support needs some ip layer support.

To: Sridhar Samudrala <sri@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SCTP path mtu support needs some ip layer support.
From: Mika Liljeberg <mika.liljeberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Jan 2003 08:46:04 +0200
Cc: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jon Grimm <jgrimm2@xxxxxxxxxx>, davem@xxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 02:56, Sridhar Samudrala wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2003, Mika Liljeberg wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know this is not what the SCTP spec recommends with IPv4, but what
> > prevents you from just fragmenting the IP packets at the source and
> > setting the DF bit on each fragment (assuming you can't just repackage
> > the data chunks)? This would be equivalent to the IPv6 behaviour and
> > would keep PMTUD working perfectly.
>
> SCTP does segment the packets based on the current PMTU and sets DF bit to not
> allowing IP fragmentation. The problem occurs when the PMTU shrinks and there
> are outstanding segmented packets which need to be retransmitted. We cannot
> re-segment these packets, but would like IP to fragment them by not setting
> DF bit.

Setting DF=0 allows intermediate routers to fragment the packets as
well. I was proposing that you allow the IP layer to fragment the
packets at source host only, and then set DF=1 on the IP fragments. This
should keep PMTUD working nicely, since intermediate routers are not
allowed to refragment.

        MikaL