Re: Update on e1000 troubles (over-heating!)

To: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Update on e1000 troubles (over-heating!)
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 20:46:42 -0700
Cc: Andre Hedrick <andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
jamal wrote:

It seems like the prerequisite to reproduce it is you beat the NIC heavily
with a lot of packets/sec and then run it at that sustained rate for at
least 30 minutes. isci would tend to use MTU sized packets which will
not be that effective.

I can reproduce my crash using mtu sized pkts running only 50Mbps send + receive
on 2 nics.  It took over-night to do it though.  Running as hard as I can with
MTU packets will crash it as well, and much quicker.

Interestingly enough, the tg3 NIC (netgear 302t), registered 57 deg C between
the fins of it's heat sink in the 32-bit slots.  Makes me wonder if my PCI bus
is running too hot :P

Dave says I'm wierd and no one else sees these bizarre problems, btw :)

More trouble-shooting to follow this next week.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>