Fwd: Question about kernel and IPv6...

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: Question about kernel and IPv6...
From: michael@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:05:50 +0200
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Alan Cox have recommended my to forward my questions to you, hope you will help
me!

Read the following:

----- Videresendt meddelelse fra michael@xxxxxxxx -----
    Dato: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:42:51 +0200
    Fra: michael@xxxxxxxx
 Emne: Question about kernel and IPv6...
      Til: Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxx>

To Alan Cox!

Hi Alan,

I am working on a master thesis called ?Internet Protocol version 6?.

In the project I have to setup a test-network for analyzing the RIPng protocol
etc. I am using four normal Intel PC?s each running Debian Linux, with a custom
compiled kernel 2.4.19 downloaded from www.kernel.org. Two of the PC?s are
running as a software-based router (using Zebra 0.92a-6), and the other is
separately working as a client and server, respectively connect to router1 and
router2.

My problem is when I try to send an ICMPv6 request via the WAN-link (router1
and router2) from the client, I not getting any response from server. The
problem only appears when I try making a connection via the WAN-link, and not
from router1<->server and router2<->client.

My question is:

- Could a problem be due to a wrong kernel-configuration? (I can attach
the .config if you are interested).

- What "kernel mechanism" is responsible for routing/transporting data between
two interfaces? (I think that?s the problem in router1 and router2. Zebra is
only exchanging the "IPv6 kernel routing information" between router1 and
router2, and it is working fine).

- What kernel version have most IPv6 features build-in ?? (Maybe a feature is
missing in 2.4.19. I have read an article about patching the kernel:
http://project6.ferrara.linux.it/papers/best_ipv6_support_4_linux/best_ipv6_supp
ort_4_linux.html, it is necessary?).

I hope you understand what my main problem is ? English is not my primary
language.

I have got many information from mailinglists, messagesboards and homepages,
but the main problem is, that those information is conflicting. That?s why I
writing to the Linux Guru him self.

Btw. You are doing a very good job with the Linux kernel!

Best regards,

Michael Olsen

Atkins Danmark A/S, Tele
Pilestræde 58