Re: rtnetlink interface state monitoring problems.

To: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: rtnetlink interface state monitoring problems.
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:17:13 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Tim Hockin wrote:

> > If not, it probably time for someone to write a generic notification
> > scheme via netlink.
>
> How generic?  I need to pay some attention to cleaning up the next version
> of the link-changes via netlink patch that was discussed last week or the
> week before.

The patch posted by Stefan seems good to me and ready to merge.

> What kind of generic are you thinking about? :)

netlink is a messaging system; so what i am thinking is creating
a event notifier for other devices other than network devices.
Something other non-network devices could use (eg bluetooth).
Given that netlink packetizes the data, this facilitates a distributed
control type of environment.

cheers,
jamal