Re: [Question] SMP for TCP/IP Stack

To: Hyochang Nam <cannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Question] SMP for TCP/IP Stack
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:11:48 -0700
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hyochang Nam wrote:
Can Linux Kernel 2.4.X handle two IP Packets at the same time
in a SMP machine which has two CPUs?
I have a SMP machine which equips two Intel Xeon CPUs and two
Intel Gigabit Network Cards. When I sent small IP Packets
to the machine, most of packets are dropped. When I watch CPU utlization with TOP program, only one CPU shows high value
but the other shows much low value, ie. 10% CPU utlization.
My test shows current IP Stack in Linux Kernel cannot provide SMP Processing properly. But, some articles said Linux Kernel 2.4
gives true SMP processing. What do you think my problem is?

Best regards,

Hyochang Nam

I will be interested to hear if your tests can generate heavy traffic
for more than a few hours...my machine keeps crashing when doing this
kind of test.

How many packets are you trying to send?

Also, try loading the NIC with TxDescriptors=4096 RxDescriptors=1024

Enjoy,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>