Re: [Bonding-devel] Re: Bonding driver unreliable under high CPUload

To: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Bonding-devel] Re: Bonding driver unreliable under high CPUload
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:11:02 -0400
Cc: "Cureington, Tony" <tony.cureington@xxxxxx>, Pascal Brisset <pascal.brisset-ml@xxxxxxxxxx>, bonding-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Andrew Morton wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:

Also, a further question:  do you have access to the slave struct
net_device?  If so, just test netif_carrier_ok(slave_dev) and avoid all
that ioctl calling if it returns non-zero.

Make that "avoid all that ioctl calling from interrupt context", which
is a bug.  Of the box-killing variety ;)

Indeed. /me looks at the bond_check_dev_link callers more closely and shudders.

That wants fixing...

Note that netif_carrier_ok() can indeed be checked in interrupt context. And if someone wants to send me patches converting more drivers to use netif_carrier_{on,off}, I would be very happy :)