Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000
From: Gerrit Huizenga <gh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:05:27 -0700
Cc: Martin.Bligh@xxxxxxxxxx, hadi@xxxxxxxxxx, tcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, niv@xxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
In message <20020906.114815.127906065.davem@xxxxxxxxxx>, > : "David S. Miller"
writes:
>    From: "Martin J. Bligh" <Martin.Bligh@xxxxxxxxxx>
>    Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:51:29 -0700
>
>    I see no reason why turning on NAPI should make the Apache setup
>    we have perform worse ... quite the opposite. Yes, we could use
>    Tux, yes we'd get better results. But that's not the point ;-)
>
> Of course.
>
> I just don't want propaganda being spread that using Tux means you
> lose any sort of web server functionality whatsoever.

Ah sorry - I never meant to imply that Tux was detrimental, other
than one case where it seemed to have no benefit and the performance
numbers while tuning for TPC-W *seemed* worse but were never analyzed
completely.  That was the actual event that I meant when I said:

        We also had some bad starts with using Tux in terms of performance
        and scalability on 4-CPU and 8-CPU machines, especially when
        combining with things like squid or other cacheing products from
        various third parties.

Those results were never quantified but for various reasons we had a
team that decided to take Tux out of the picture.  I think the problem
was more likely lack of knowledge and lack of time to do analysis on
the particular problems.  Another combination of solutions was used.

So, any comments I made which might have implied that Tux/Tux2 made things
worse have no substantiated data to prove that and it is quite possible
that there is no such problem.  Also, this was run nearly a year ago and
the state of Tux/Tux2 might have been a bit different at the time.

gerrit