Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000

To: "Martin J. Bligh" <Martin.Bligh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000
From: Dave Hansen <haveblue@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:38:30 -0700
Cc: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>, hadi@xxxxxxxxxx, tcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, niv@xxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Martin J. Bligh wrote:
Stupid question, are you sure you have CONFIG_E1000_NAPI enabled?

NAPI is also not the panacea to all problems in the world.

No, but I didn't expect throughput to drop by 40% or so either,
which is (very roughly) what happened. Interrupts are a pain to
manage and do affinity with, so NAPI should (at least in theory)
be better for this kind of setup ... I think.

No, no. Bad Martin! Throughput didn't drop, "Specweb compliance" dropped. Those are two very, very different things. I've found that the server can produce a lot more throughput, although it doesn't have the characteristics that Specweb considers compliant. Just have Troy enable mod-status and look at the throughput that Apache tells you that it is giving during a run. _That_ is real throughput, not number of compliant connections.

_And_ NAPI is for receive only, right? Also, my compliance drop occurs with the NAPI checkbox disabled. There is something else in the new driver that causes our problems.

Dave Hansen