Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000

To: "Martin J. Bligh" <Martin.Bligh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000
From: Dave Hansen <haveblue@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:38:30 -0700
Cc: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>, hadi@xxxxxxxxxx, tcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, niv@xxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Martin J. Bligh wrote:
Stupid question, are you sure you have CONFIG_E1000_NAPI enabled?

NAPI is also not the panacea to all problems in the world.

No, but I didn't expect throughput to drop by 40% or so either,
which is (very roughly) what happened. Interrupts are a pain to
manage and do affinity with, so NAPI should (at least in theory)
be better for this kind of setup ... I think.

No, no. Bad Martin! Throughput didn't drop, "Specweb compliance" dropped. Those are two very, very different things. I've found that the server can produce a lot more throughput, although it doesn't have the characteristics that Specweb considers compliant. Just have Troy enable mod-status and look at the throughput that Apache tells you that it is giving during a run. _That_ is real throughput, not number of compliant connections.

_And_ NAPI is for receive only, right? Also, my compliance drop occurs with the NAPI checkbox disabled. There is something else in the new driver that causes our problems.

--
Dave Hansen
haveblue@xxxxxxxxxx