Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000

To: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000
From: Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:38:10 -0700
Cc: Troy Wilson <tcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> I am not sure; if he gets a busy system in a congested network, i
> can see the offloading savings i.e i am not sure if the amortization
> of the calls away from the CPU is sufficient enough savings if it
> doesnt involve a lot of retransmits. I am also wondering how smart
> this NIC in doing the retransmits; example i have doubts if this
> idea is briliant to begin with; does it handle SACKs for example?

do you mean sack data being sent as a tcp option?
dont know, lots of other questions arise (like timestamp
on all the segments would be the same?).

> Troy, i am not interested in the nestat -s data rather the TCP
> stats this NIC  has exposed. Unless those somehow show up magically
> in netstat.

most recent (dont know how far back) versions of netstat
display /proc/net/snmp and /proc/net/netstat (with the
Linux TCP MIB), so netstat -s should show you most of
whats interesting. Or were you referring to something else?

ifconfig -a and netstat -rn would also be nice to have..

thanks,
Nivedita