Re: packet re-ordering on SMP machines.

To: "Ben Greear" <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "jamal" <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Cheng Jin" <chengjin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Cheng Hu" <chenghu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Steven Low" <slow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: packet re-ordering on SMP machines.
From: "Xiaoliang \(David\) Wei" <weixl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:03:36 -0700
Cc: <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Ben and Jamal,
       Are you guys sure that getdayoftime per packet is a big overhead on
Gbps connection?
       Do you compare the performance with getdayoftime per packet and
without? I guess RFC 1323 specifies that each packet should have a timestamp
(although not from getdayoftime).
       Also, what's your testbed's configuration, Ben? (I guess if we can
use faster hardware to overcome this effect...)
      Thank you:)

     ps: I am working on some high speed TCP experiment and may want to make
getdayoftime every packet...

-David
Xiaoliang (David) Wei             Graduate Student in CS@Caltech
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~weixl