Re: TODO list before feature freeze

To: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: TODO list before feature freeze
From: Patrick Schaaf <bof@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:06:39 +0200
Cc: Patrick Schaaf <bof@xxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, netfilter-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, netfilter-core@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Hashing is an issue, no doubt but i dont think it is the main issue.

I fully agree. I mention this all the time.

> Did you start chasing hashing because you saw some large numbers
> in profiles?

No. I looked at the hash function and bucket sizes, because I now have
machines in the field running conntrack, and I wanted to understand
how I should chose an appropriate size. So I took real world conntrack
snapshots on those machines, and analysed. I learned all there is to
learn about the question, and present the results for others to use
like they see fit. End of story.

Again, I have no performance trouble with conntracking on any of my
production systems.

best regards
  Patrick

--