Re: TODO list before feature freeze

To: Patrick Schaaf <bof@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: TODO list before feature freeze
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:58:42 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netfilter-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <netfilter-core@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Patrick Schaaf wrote:

> Jamal,
>
> > They also have a lot of problems with their per-packet computations.
> > Robert and I spent a short time looking at "this thing that is making
> > us look bad" (perfomance wise) and talked to Harald.
>
> Do you have written up somewhere what kind of performance problems you were
> seeing, under which conditions (hash bucket count, number of tracked
> connections, packet load)

Just standard setup in forwarding. Infact you only need one or two flows
active to verify this -- which leads me to believe hashing may play a
smaller role in the whole problem.
What i have seen and reported by many people (someone seems to have gone
one step further and documented numbers, but cant find his email right
now). Take Linux as a router, it routes at x% of wire rate. Load
conntracking and watch it go down another 25% at least.

> > Something that looked like needs improvement at first glance was the aging
> > and hashing schemes.
>
> Regarding the hashing schemes, please see discussions on netfilter-devel
> over the last weeks:

I think hashing is one of the problems. What performance improvemet are
you seeing? (couldnt tell from looking at your data)

cheers,
jamal