PROBLEM: udp not delivered on special socket receive buffer size

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: PROBLEM: udp not delivered on special socket receive buffer size
From: Matthias Welk <welk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:45:11 +0200
Cc: davem@xxxxxxxxxx, kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx, Peter Gober <gober@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I reported the following problem allready to the linux-kernel mailinglist, but
did not receive any answer. I hope you are the right contacts for this.

The probles is, that I did not receive any udp packets (224 bytes), if the
receive buffer size (SO_RCVBUF) of the socket is set to a value below 831
(??) bytes.
Yes, you may ask why such a low value, but I have no influence on this,
because it is set in the Java Media Framework internally.
You can check this behaviour with a small c-program too.

So my question is:

Is this a bug or are there any reasons for this magic 831 bytes barrier ?

Thanks, Matthias.
From: Matthias Welk                   office:  +49-30-3463-7272
      FHG Fokus                       mobile:  +49-179- 1144752
      Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31       fax   :  +49-30-3463-8672
      10589 Berlin                    email : welk@xxxxxxxxxxxx