Re: IP stack question

To: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IP stack question
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:48:15 -0700
Cc: "Bloch, Jack" <Jack.Bloch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
jamal wrote:
I tried to explain to you in private mail:
Both 10.1.1.4 and 10.1.1.5 are recognized to be local addresses
by the IP stack. It is legit that the stack limits the scope
to just that i.e _local_
 The only way to do what you want to do is bypass the IP stack.
Use packet socket to write your  test app.
(which actually probably defetas the whole purpose of what you may
be trying to do -- HA).

It would not defeat the purpose of detecting at least one bad network
link of the two.

I wonder if a ping -I eth1 255.255.255.255 would accomplish the
goal as well?

I would actually like to be able to force a machine to not do local
routing as well, and force packets out over an interface even if
the destination is a local IP,  using source-based-routing,
or something similar.  There is no way to do this currently?

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>