Re: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets

To: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:09:51 -0700
Cc: Lincoln Dale <ltd@xxxxxxxxx>, jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, Horst von Brand <vonbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Stephen Hemminger wrote:

It sounds like what you want is socket accounting which works like
process accounting.  I.e when a socket lifetime ends, put out a record
with number of packets/bytes sent/received.

Runtime is much more interesting to me.  However, if you are keeping
enough information to do the accounting as you suggest, then it would
be trivial to make it available incrementally over the life of the
socket.

Billing is not the only interesting aspect of this.  It is also good for
any program trying to dynamically tune or understand the lower-level
characteristics of a particular routing path or interface.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>