Re: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 11:23:30 -0700
Cc: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

David S. Miller wrote:

   From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 17:13:35 -0700
If you're talking per-socket SNMP counters, then that could work.
   General protocol-wide counters would not help much, at least
   in my case.

Why not?  If you know where the drops are occurring, what else
do you need to know?

I need to account for packets on a per-session basis, where a
session endpoint is a UDP port.  So, knowing global protocol numbers is
good, but it is not very useful for the detailed accounting I
need.  I could also use per-socket TCP counters, like re-transmits,
etc.  I have not looked to see if they are already there
or not...

Thanks,
Ben

--