Re: ipv4.o module

To: Francois Romieu <romieu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ipv4.o module
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 13:06:00 +1100
Cc: Dominic Duval <dd@xxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 00:00:18 +0100,
Francois Romieu <romieu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Dominic Duval <dd@xxxxxxxx> :
>[...]
>> Sure, that would be the next logical steps. The current patch is more a
>> proof of concept than anything else. For example, something better could
>> be done with ipv6, in fact I'm not even sure how the ipv6 module (and
>>  other sub-modules of ipv4) will react with all these modifications. I
>
>On a related note, could somebody elaborate on why the EXPORT_SYMBOL
>are done from net/netsyms.c ?

Historical reasons.  The original method of exporting symbols required
header and trailer X macros and it was easier to have one file per
subsystem that did all the exports.  With EXPORT_SYMBOL you can export
the symbols directly from the file that instantiates the symbol,
subject to these constraints :-

Files that use EXPORT_SYMBOL must be in the export-objs list in the
Makefile.

Files that use EXPORT_SYMBOL must have a globably unique name.  You
cannot export from inode.c because there are multiple files called
inode.c.

There is a minor problem with the kernel build that recompiles all
files in the directory that export symbols if any file has changed.