Problems by forwarding packets in kernel!

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Problems by forwarding packets in kernel!
From: Atif Syed <Atif.Syed@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:57:26 +0100
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear all,

I have a one machine which sends udp-packets. The other machine should have
to change the destination and source address in kernel and send it back to
this machine. They are both connected locally. This connection is based on
ipv6 level.

I have done changes in ip6_rcv() in /usr/src/linux/net/ipv6/ip6_input.c to
change the destination and source address in sk_buff. For Neighbour Discovery
i have added that all packets with next header udp should have to be changed
ohter packets (icmpv6) should go through.

But still it is not working it goes through these funktions :

         ip6_rcv()  ->  ip6_rcv_finish()  -> ip6_route_input ->
ip6_rcv_finish() ->
ip6_forward -> error!!!

it should have to go through ip6_forward_finish()

It seems that routing is not possible. Should i have to change any other
possibility in sk_buff to tell the kernel that this packet is to be routed to
host, where it come from.

Thanx for help in advance.

Atif Syed