Re: Dynamic access lists

To: SVR Anand <anand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Dynamic access lists
From: Chris Friesen <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:27:07 -0500
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
SVR Anand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I work in one ISP that serves a university campus connected on a LAN, apart
> from many other customers. We have a congested internet access link, thanks to
> the student community. Because of this, customers as well as the university
> faculty are complaining of poor throughputs. One of the professors suggested
> that faculty should be given a better bandwidth by imposing some kind of
> traffic control on the student traffic. In this regard I plan to implement the
> following idea.

Hmm...as a former student I'm not sure I like the idea of faculty getting better
net access than students.  The students are paying for access through their
tuition costs, the professors get it as part of their job.

Now granted, there will likely be more potential abusers of bandwidth in the
student population, but why not divide available bandwidth based on demand?

You might want to consider tracking machines that tend to have a lot of traffic,
and making them lower priority.  This would cut down on the impact of perpetual
abusers.  This is where a table of known exceptions might be handy (web servers,
etc.).

--
Chris Friesen                    | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks                  | work: (613) 765-0557