Re: SCTP and IPv6 roadmap

To: Jon Grimm <jgrimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SCTP and IPv6 roadmap
From: Mauro Tortonesi <mauro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:02:25 +0100 (CET)
Cc: <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "sctp-developers-list@xxxxxxxxxxx" <sctp-developers-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <usagi-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Jon Grimm wrote:

> Mauro,
>
> I'm glad you ask, since it gives me a chance to put in a little plug for
> the lksctp project.
>
> No, we aren't abandoned at all.
>
> It is quite true that we've been on a base of 2.4.1 overly long.   We
> are in the active process of moving to a 2.4.17 base and redoing our
> file hierarchy to better allow us to stay up with current kernels.   We
> will  hopefully be more nimble in the future, but our current code is
> only available as anonymous download in CVS.
>
> Overall, we'd love to get into 2.5, however realize we have a bit of
> work to focus on first.
>
> For more information, please visit the project's website at:
>       http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/lksctp
>
> For more information on the SCTP protocol, see RFC 2960 at:
>       http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2960.txt

thanks for your kind answer, jon. i am looking for an interesting topic
for my master thesis, and i am especially interested in next generation
networking protocols, like ipv6 and, of course, sctp.

for my thesis, i'd really like to implement some functionality in the
linux kernel which could also be useful to the opensource community.

unfortunately, it seems that much of ipv6 and sctp features have already
been implemented in linux, from the usagi and lksctp projects,
respectively, and there's not much left to be done - at least not so much
IMHO to do a thesis about it.

so, if any of you has a good idea or knows an interesting networking
feature which still needs to be implemented in linux (especially some
kernel stuff) and deserves someone to write a thesis about it, please let
me know.

thank you in advance.

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi                 mauro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ferrara Linux User Group        http://www.ferrara.linux.it
Project6 - IPv6 for Linux       http://project6.ferrara.linux.it