IPv6 over slip

To: "'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'linux-ipv6@xxxxxxxxx'" <linux-ipv6@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IPv6 over slip
From: Patel Hemang-QA4383 <Hemang.Patel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:55:35 -0600
Cc: Patel Hemang-QA4383 <Hemang.Patel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
All,

        We are trying to run the MIPL and IPv6 stack with the SLIP
interface(sl0) in LINUX.   The router is sending out Router Advertisements, but
the IPv6 stack does not seem to pick up the router advertisements.  When we do
a tcpdump -i sl0 ip6 -R, it prints out the hex dump of the router
advertisement, and that is in line with the standard.  But somehow the router
advertisement is not picked up by the IPv6 stack and thus the MIPL code, also
Ethereal shows an "unknown ip packet" type.  What changes do you have to make
to the IPv6 and the MIPL code to get it to listen to the router advertisements
and communicate over the sl0 interface?

I am able to get the sl0 interface to work, and I am able to ping(IPv4) from
it.  But I don't see any BU or RS being sent out through the sl0 interface,
although the kernel log indicates that those messages are being sent.

Also what is the main ".c" file, where in I can put the debug statements to see
that the IPv6 stack is receiving the router advertisements.  We need to know
where the packets get dropped between the slip interface and the IPv6 stack and
why?

Thanks,
Hemang Patel
847-435-9872

Hemang Patel
Adv. Tech. & Strategy-CGISS, Motorola.
Ph: (847) 435-9872      Pg: 877-734-6069
Fax: (847) 576-9018    Email: hemang.patel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Never say die