Re: [patch] netconsole - log kernel messages over the network. 2.4.10.

To: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [patch] netconsole - log kernel messages over the network. 2.4.10.
From: Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:29:09 -0600
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> sample startup of the netconsole on the server:
>
>      insmod netconsole dev=eth1 target_ip=0x0a000701 \
>                   source_port=6666 \
>                   target_port=6666 \
>                   target_eth_byte0=0x00 \
>                   target_eth_byte1=0x90\
>                   target_eth_byte2=0x27 \
>                   target_eth_byte3=0x8C \
>                   target_eth_byte4=0xA0 \
>                   target_eth_byte5=0xA8

Ugh.  Maybe a wrapper script (netconsole-server) which automates this is
in order?  I imagine the eth_byteX is a MAC address (or at least that this
is in the documentation)?

> > and on the client:
> >
> >     # ./netconsole-client -server 10.0.7.5 -client 10.0.7.1 -port 6666
> >         [...network console startup...]
> >         netconsole: network logging started up successfully!
> >         SysRq : Loglevel set to 9

<wishlist>
Any chance the netconsole-client can be set up to listen for multiple hosts
and log to the local syslog?  This would allow you to run netconsole-client
on your normal syslog host and add timestamps, clean up old logs, etc.

I take it that this is only a one-way interface (i.e. logs sent from the
server to the client), and not a real serial-console replacement?
</wishlist>

In any case, this will be EXTREMELY useful for me, as a lot of new machines
do not have serial ports and are a PITA to debug in case of a crash.  Thanks.

Cheers, Andreas