Re: (usagi-users 00767) Re: source routing honored by hosts?

To: YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明 <yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: (usagi-users 00767) Re: source routing honored by hosts?
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 17:26:00 +0300 (EEST)
Cc: <ipng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <usagi-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / [iso-2022-jp] 吉藤英明 wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.33.0109091459540.25161-100000@xxxxxxxxxx> (at Sun, 9
> Sep 2001 15:55:21 +0300 (EEST)), Pekka Savola <pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx> says:
>
> > There has not been an "official" statement on ipng IETF list on this, but
> > the general consensus seems to be that hosts should not forward
> > source-routed frames, at least by default.
>
> Who did say that it should be disabled by default?
> Consensus seems to be "hosts are expected to forward source-routed
> frames by default."
>
> ...or, do I misunderstand something?
>
> We need the conclusion of this discussion...

I think it was quite widely accepted (at least nobody objected, thus I
said "consensus") that _hosts_, at least by default, should not forward
source-routed packets.

"local source-routing" from IPv4 context (same incoming/outgoing
interface) was also mentioned w.r.t. host behaviour.

There were ... arguments back and forth whether forwarding source-routed
packets by default is safe (enough) for routers.