Re: missing icmp errors for udp packets

To: <kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: missing icmp errors for udp packets
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:12:12 +0300 (EEST)
Cc: <therapy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Having two pools, one for error and the other for informational message
>
> I am "people" too. And I do not expect that echos are limited at all. :-)

Me neither.  It would make 'ping -f' testing of your ISP's connections
rather inconvenient ;-) ...

> And assume that default configuration is no limit. Hence, adding
> it to a common structure is mistake.

What I meant (to say) is, for people who _want_ to limit pings too, they
want to it to be separate from other ICMP(/other protocol) limiting
capabilities.  Some might be experiencing excessive pinging, but want to
be able to respond with ICMP errors when necessary, for example (some of
this is already there, but isn't separate).