Re: Diffserv and NetApplications

To: SVR Anand <anand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Diffserv and NetApplications
From: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 16:12:11 +1200
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:52:41PM +0530, SVR Anand wrote:

    Considering diffserv as QoS supporting mechanism, I am
    contemplating on the possibility of making some of the known
    netapplications like http, telnet, ftp and so on, inherently
    diffserv aware.

MAny already are, I believe telnet and ssh are for example.

    By this I mean the applications automatically send
    out their packets out of the box with appropriate dscp values
    depending on their QoS requirements. While tc is one way of
    achieving the same result, it is an external mechanism requiring a
    seperate agent to configure diffserv.

    My wish is, all the future netapps
    from Linux should take advantage of QoS as applicable, naturally.

As I said, some (many) already do... QoS means different things to
different people.  Nice idea in theory, in reality its not worth much
to acheive what you want.

  --cw