Re: Linux without IP stack

To: NetDevel List <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Linux without IP stack
From: Mauro Tortonesi <mauro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:18:23 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Pekka Savola wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Maciej 'Agaran' Pijanka wrote:
> > is possible to disable ip stack and have only v6 stack working?
> > i looked a bit in sources but first sit.o should be separed from ipv6.o
> > (when ipv6 is in module)
>
> Impossible at this point.  A lot of code is shared in .. less than obvious
> ways (e.g. tcp, ip toggles in proc, tcp and udp behaviour in general,
> etc.).

i think that the hybrid ipv4-ipv6 stack architecture is the best choice
at this moment. maybe when we'll have a 99% ipv6 internet it will make
any sense to have a real dual stack architecture (so that you can disable
ipv4), but in this moment i think that splitting common ipv4-ipv6 code
in the linux kernel would be a mistake.

> Now, being able to disable transitionary mechanisms would be a nice thing,

yes, really.

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi                 mauro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ferrara Linux User Group        http://www.ferrara.linux.it
Project6 - IPv6 for Linux       http://project6.ferrara.linux.it