Re: Linux without IP stack

To: "Maciej 'Agaran' Pijanka" <agaran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Linux without IP stack
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:41:56 +0300 (EEST)
Cc: NetDevel List <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Maciej 'Agaran' Pijanka wrote:
> is possible to disable ip stack and have only v6 stack working?
> i looked a bit in sources but first sit.o should be separed from ipv6.o
> (when ipv6 is in module)

Impossible at this point.  A lot of code is shared in .. less than obvious
ways (e.g. tcp, ip toggles in proc, tcp and udp behaviour in general,
etc.).

It might be interesting if someone came up with a list of dependencies (at
least at some point in the future), but few people want to use _only_ ipv6
yet ;-)

[From the other mail]:
> sorry.. poor english here
>i mean about kernel without IPv4 Stack and only IPv6 stack inside (no
>tunneling, no autotunnels and so on)

You didn't mean this, but triggered an important point:

Now, being able to disable transitionary mechanisms would be a nice thing,
something that people might want to actually use now, as there are some
inherent security problems with trans. methods that cannot be avoided.

Btw, I'm working on enhancing 6to4 security but it's progressing slowly..
:-)