Re: skb_pull, etc. panics.

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: skb_pull, etc. panics.
From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:06:19 -0400
Cc: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 10:22:17PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 05:58:48PM +0200, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
> > ...so checking for it is considered debugging code and thus, overhead
> > that need not be in a production system?
>
> In theory yes. It is a good sanity check to stop early when things go
> wrong though so it is kept.

That's fine for my code that tries to call skb_push/pull directly, but
it doesn't help when other parts of the system call it, assuming
everything is hunky-dory and my code has changed something so that the
assumptions of other parts of the system are no longer true...  It is
rather rude to debug...

> -Andi

        slainte mhath, RGB
--
Richard Guy Briggs -- PGP key available            Auto-Free Ottawa! Canada
<www.conscoop.ottawa.on.ca/rgb/>                       <www.flora.org/afo/>