RE: Creating L2 frames / IPV6 packets from scratch

To: "Perches, Joe" <joe.perches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Creating L2 frames / IPV6 packets from scratch
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 13:09:58 +0300 (EEST)
Cc: "'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 18 May 2001, Perches, Joe wrote:

> We make hardware for that purpose.
> A software solution is:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/sendip.html
> http://www.tlsecurity.net/unix/Assesement/PacketForging/sendip-1.4.tar.gz

Thanks for the pointer; I didn't know this existed.

The tool is not much good for IPv6 though:

[root@ws-6gw sendip]# ./sendip ::1
Couldn't get destination host: gethostbyname2(): Success
[root@ws-6gw sendip]# ./sendip ::1 -A inet6
Couldn't setsockopt IP_HDRINCL: Protocol not available

(I'm certain this can be gotten to work, but didn't seem too encouraging)

.. not to mention the terrible state of documentation (compare hidden
code cases like '-A', usage() and the manpage).

Also, this isn't able to formulate too specific IPv6/ICMPv6 packets; for
example, it isn't possible to stack a few extension headers, or specify
ICMP neighbour discovery parameters.

Ie. might be good for basic testing if it worked ok.

> > Is there an easy facility for creating, and sending, L2 frames / IPv6
> > packets from scratch?
> > (Btw, if you know of other utils to create arbitrary IPv6
> > packets easily, please let me know)

As davem suggested, I ported v6test to use PF_PACKET.  It's really dirty
but would appear to work.  We'll see.