Re: NETDEV_CHANGE events when __LINK_STATE_NOCARRIER is modified

To: "Janice Girouard" <girouard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NETDEV_CHANGE events when __LINK_STATE_NOCARRIER is modified
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:01:52 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Janice Girouard writes:
 > The last netdev_state_t flag is managed by the routines
 > netif_carrier_on(...*dev) and netif_carrier_off(...*dev).  These are macros
 > defined in netdevice.h .  For some reason, these macros do not send a
 > notifier_call_chain(....NETDEV_CHANGE,dev) event (or any NETDEV event).
 > Is there a reason for this?  It seems important to know if the line
 > is known to be functional.  The netif_carrier_on/off routines are
 > relatively new.  Is it possible that this is an oversight?  It seems
 > like this macro might call netdev_state_change in dev.c, since this
 > routine is "Called to indicate a device has changed state".

It is not a physical state change.  This state bit is meant only as a
hack for the isdn layers dial on demand like functionality.

This is not the kind of state change the notifier chain listeners are
interested in.  It would be meaningless for the notifiers to run
every time I yank my ethernet cable out of the card on my machine :-)

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@xxxxxxxxxx