Re: [benc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Linux "enable EUI-64 token format"]

To: <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [benc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Linux "enable EUI-64 token format"]
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 15:22:19 +0300 (EEST)
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> This issue seems to pop up every now and then.
> Would it not be usefull to switch from "explitely enable this" to
> "disable this, unless you want to use this obsolete form"
>
> Or for that matter, to have e.g. interface specific sysctl or
> some such to control the behaviour -- if the old form is desirable
> at all..
>
> USAGI might have done something along these lines as well.

I wholeheartedly agree.

IPv6 is only used by the developers, hackers or early implementors at this
point.  All of them have moved away from the obsolete addressing long time
ago.  There is no reason to drag along old cruft much longer.

It would be different if the change took place when there was already 5M
Linux IPv6 users.. but there aren't.

I also suggest that:
 1) EUI-64 will be the default
 2) Provider-based is an option, with a heavy warning (or removed
entirely, if feeling radical)

2) should IMO be completely gone in 2.5/2.6 at the latest.