Re: NETDEV_CHANGE events when __LINK_STATE_NOCARRIER is modified

To: Janice Girouard <girouard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NETDEV_CHANGE events when __LINK_STATE_NOCARRIER is modified
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 15:12:22 -0400
Cc: davem@xxxxxxxxxx, c729953@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Janice Girouard wrote:

> When I look at the timer.c code in the tulip directory,
> I can see that ethernet drivers are already using this flag
> to show the health of the card.
>
> I also see
>      * xircom_cb.c set's this flag to show a link_status_changed.
>
>     * sis990.c (pci fast ethernet) set's this flag when the
>        link status changes
>      * via-rhine.c set's this flag to indicate link status changes

I either implemented these or suggested implementation to the driver
authors...   Alexey implemented netif_carrier_foo for tulip.  I didn't
put it into other drivers when someone (at the Summit?) pointed out that
netif_carrier_foo doesn't actually do anything.

> The error handling of networks cards is exactly the problem I'm
> trying to solve without having a tulip_timer routine for each driver.

That's the suggested direction for 2.5 - make DaveM's link state machine
(which includes a timer) generic, and use it in other ethernet drivers.

--
Jeff Garzik      | Game called on account of naked chick
Building 1024    |