Re: Zeroing interface stats?

To: Andrew Morton <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Zeroing interface stats?
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:00:16 -0500 (EST)
Cc: <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:

> I see. And this index is published to external applications
> and management systems as a reliable identifier with which
> to reference this interface on this host?  And so we're not
> allowed to change it across the interface lifetime?

SNMP uses it and again IIRC, the net management system initializes
it only at startup time i.e it doesnt continously reinitialize after
it gets started. Again this is just from some triggered brain blast
i had. Someone needs to check the SNMP RFCs, i dont know which one.
i.e for each ifindex, from SNMP view, the counters are a monotonicaly
incrementing values ....

> Should we attempt to make an interface's ifindex constant
> across reinstantiations of the interface (ie: driver reloads?).

This is a hard one. I supose if you are getting a new ifindex, you
should reset the counters. but it is probably good practise to just
give it a new ifindex and reset counters.

cheers,
jamal