Re: Zeroing interface stats?

To: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Zeroing interface stats?
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:39:31 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Andrew Morton <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Ben Greear wrote:

> > Infact i think what the acenic is doing is illegal. These stats are used
> > by SNMP.
> > IIRC, if you have to zero the stats you also must reset the ifindex.
> > Someone double check the SNMP RFCs.
>

> Please, PLEASE, don't change the device index!!  There needs to be some
> immutable thing (other than net_device*) to reliably point to a particular
> device.  Changing that will completely screw up VLAN code as it's written
> now (because I didn't want pointers that could go stale..so I do hashed
> lookups
> based on device id...)

I dont think i was suggesting that. Merely stating a hypothesis:
That if me remembers correctly, the only time zeroing the netstats is
considered valid is when you also change the ifindex as well i.e
it becomes a new device. Now i could be wrong. Someone more knowledgable
on SNMP needs to make the qualification.

cheers,
jamal