Re: why autoconfiguration work's while shouldn't ? :)

To: "YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / ?$B5HF#1QL@?\(B" <yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: why autoconfiguration work's while shouldn't ? :)
From: Jan Rekorajski <baggins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:58:41 +0100
Cc: misiek@xxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, usagi-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / ?$B5HF#1QL@?(B wrote:

> In article <20010222175523.A17144@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (at Thu, 22 Feb
> 2001 17:55:23 +0100), Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <misiek@xxxxxxxxxx> says:
>
> > after a while when kernel tries autoconfiguration
> > (Feb 22 17:51:30 arm kernel: eth0: no IPv6 routers present)
> :
> > default dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256  mtu 1500
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > It adds few one default route which blows everything.
> > Can someone explain me why such route is added?
> :
> > Bug or I'm missing something?
>
> This is not a bug.
>
> If there're no routers, we must assume all destination are on-link.
> (RFC2461 5.2)

As far as I remember the RFC and my discussion about this topic with ANK,
there is no MUST. We should or may add this default route,
but also we may give the ability to turn this behaviour off.

Some time ago I made a patch that adds /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/*/autoconf_route
sysctl just for this purpose. As the patch is small I attach it here.

Jan
--
Jan Rękorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?