Re: sendfile+zerocopy: fairly sexy (nothing to do with ECN)

To: David Lang <dlang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: sendfile+zerocopy: fairly sexy (nothing to do with ECN)
From: James Sutherland <jas88@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 02:27:37 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxx>, lkml <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, David Lang wrote:

> Thanks, that info on sendfile makes sense for the fileserver situation.
> for webservers we will have to see (many/most CGI's look at stuff from the
> client so I still have doubts as to how much use cacheing will be)

CGI performance isn't directly affected by this - the whole point is to
reduce the "cost" of handling static requests to zero (at least, as close
as possible) leaving as much CPU as possible for the CGI to use.

So sendfile won't help your CGI directly - it will just give your CGI more
resources to work with.

James.