Re: [ANN] 2nd STABLE release of USAGI Project

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ANN] 2nd STABLE release of USAGI Project
From: Jacek Konieczny <jajcus@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:32:36 +0100
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 07:20:07PM +0900, Yuji Sekiya wrote:

> > > For routers in default free zone, it is true. But how about routers in
> > > leaf sites ? All router should have full routes ?
> > No just a route for all unicast addresses: 2000::/3 (AFAIR)
> > And (maybe) something similar for multicast (if no better multicast
> > routing is available)
>
> Actually it means default route. I can't see why you announce or add
> statically the route instead of default route.

This is not the same as default route. Prefix 2000::/3 does not contain
multicast nor link-local and site-local addresses. Only global unicast
addresses.
When using default route you should (but I am almost sure most people
wouldn't do it) block those addresses by other means.
There are a lot of IPv4 packages with "private network" addresses going
through the Internet just because of badly configured routers -- all
unknown packages go out the default route even if they are
"non-routable".

Greets,
        Jacek