Re: netlink drops messages.

To: Werner Almesberger <Werner.Almesberger@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: netlink drops messages.
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:22:10 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "James R. Leu" <jleu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> James R. Leu wrote:
> > I'm not asking for the impossible.  Sequence numbers and/or client
> > to server ACKs would solve the problem.
>
> So what do you do when the client doesn't ACK and you run out of buffer
> space ? Block all activities that may trigger netlink messages ?

He should still be able to do reliable communication by doing the
state maintanance within the user space app.
The mechanism is already in place.
[nlmsghdr.nlmsg_seq. as well as flags NLM_F_ACK, NLM_F_ECHO ]

> Actually, isn't netlink from BSD ?

dont think so ;->. BSD has routing sockets which are a very small subset
of netlink.

cheers,
jamal