Re: Mediocre TCP Performance 2.4.0 <-> Win98SE PPP

To: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mediocre TCP Performance 2.4.0 <-> Win98SE PPP
From: Jan Rekorajski <baggins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 04:11:03 +0100
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 05 Jan 2001, Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> I reported this a couple of months back with 2.4.0-test10 and hoping
> that it might have been fixed I tested 2.4.0 proper with no luck.
>
> We are seeing a huge performance problem between 2.4.0 SMP and Windows
> users dialed up using compressed PPP. The Linux box is a standard
> valinux dual p3 running 2.4.0 without TCP ECN and without mmapped
> network IO connected to a Cisco 6509 which is then connected to the
> Internet. The Windows machine is a running 98SE 4.10.2222 dialed up to
> an ISP over it's built in modem.

Try disabling VJ TCP/IP header compression on Windows box.
I think I have the same problem, and when connecting to 2.4 server
I see these in logs (this is linux client):
Jan  3 01:14:17 home kernel: PPP: VJ decompression error
Jan  3 01:14:37 home kernel: PPP: VJ decompression error

Why this happens? This occurs when I try to connect to 2.4 server _only_ :(
Same hardware on both sides but 2.2 on server and no problems.

Jan
--
Jan Rękorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?