Re: routable interfaces

To: Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: routable interfaces
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:25:37 -0500 (EST)
Cc: <kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> Yes, zebra can handle multiple ifas, but ospf cannot. ospf can only advertise
> secondary ips as stab networks and cannot form adjacency through them, so no
> transit
> traffic. AFAIK CISCO does the same thing. The only way I see to handle
> secondary
> ips and be able to route transit traffic through them is to create virtual
> interface
> for each ip alias in zebra and feed them to ospf as real interfaces.

You mean the ifa_label can be used as a interface name that zebra/ospf
will understand? Ok, That should work + you might have to force sourcing of
ip addresses given certain routes. I am not sure if zebra knows how to do
that i.e can you tell zebra to set the route table such packets coming out
of that link going towards certain destination will have the aliased IP as
the source? It's easy to set on the command line, for example.

> Possible, but
> very complicated, and then what about the ifindexes of these interfaces?

Ifindices are an issue.

cheers,
jamal