Re: routable interfaces

To: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: routable interfaces
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:42:27 -0700
Cc: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>, hadi@xxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > Is there any evidence that people really want to use hundreds of VLANs on a
> > single box in practice?
>
> People _have_ to use hundreds of them simply because existing
> VLAN software does not allow to do this in more clever fashion.
>
> Alexey

If you want 500 routable, virtual LAN interfaces, then it would
seem to me that you really want 500 VLAN interfaces as we have implemented
them.  Can you give an example of a need for 500 virtual LANs, and an
alternative implementation that pleases you more?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear (greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  http://www.candelatech.com
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)