Re: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1

To: Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1
From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:38:28 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxx>, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>, <riel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > > ever seen, this is why i quoted it - the talk was about block-IO
> > > performance, and Stephen said that our block IO sucks. It used to suck,
> > > but in 2.4, with the right patch from Jens, it doesnt suck anymore. )
> >
> > Thats fine. Get me 128K-512K chunks nicely streaming into my raid controller
> > and I'll be a happy man
>
> No problem, apply blk-13B and you'll get 512K chunks for SCSI and RAID.

i cannot agree more - Jens' patch did wonders to IO performance here. It
fixes a long-standing bug in the Linux block-IO-scheduler that caused very
suboptimal requests being issued to lowlevel drivers once the request
queue gets full. I think this patch is a clear candidate for 2.4.x
inclusion.

        Ingo